cc-licenses - Re: Pool of compatible works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Pool of compatible works
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:00:20 +0200

The whole point of the international licenses is that they are
compatible. :-) You can mix iCommons work, the licenses contain the
following bit of language to allow this (4b in BY-SA):

Doh. Somehow I managed to miss that, because I was prejudiced after reading the Finnish localization of BY-SA *1.0*. I'm embarrassed.

Interesting, though, that the choice of localization or updated license only applies to derivative works--not verbatim copies. So if someone licenses graphics (or other language-independent works) under an exotic localization, you'd have to make some changes to the graphics in order to switch the license to something that can be read by the people you supply the graphics to.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen AT iki.fi