cc-licenses - Re: Pool of compatible works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <dcarrera AT math.umd.edu>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Pool of compatible works
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 05:32:11 -0500

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> It seems to me the localized versions of BY-SA are all incompatible in
> the sense that you cannot combine a work under eg. the Finnish BY-SA
> license and a work under the Dutch BY-SA license.

One second... are you sure there is such a thing as localized versions of CC
licenses? I'm looking for them and I can't find them. Instead, what I can
find is
localized versions of the Commons Deed. But that's not the license. It is
merely a
human-readable summary of the license.

If you go to other languages, and click on the legal code link, you always
arrive
at the same license (in English).

> It seems to me that works licensed under SA 1.0 or BY-SA 1.0 are
> incompatible with works licensed under BY-SA 2.0. Is it so?

I'm interested to know the answer to this question also. One of the virtues
that
I've seen in CC is the ability to mix.

> What happens to the works licensed under the 2.0 licenses if/when CC
> releases new revisions of licenses?

I'm just starting a project using the BY license. Our copyright notice says:

You can distribute it and/or modify it under the terms of ... the
Creative Commons Attribution License, version 2.0 or later
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Daniel Carrera | I don't want it perfect,
Join OOoAuthors today! | I want it Tuesday.
http://oooauthors.org |