cc-licenses - Pool of compatible works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Pool of compatible works
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:23:54 +0200

It seem problematic that the CC licenses do not contain a license version update clause (like the ones in GPL and MPL) and don't say anything about the compatibility of the localized licenses.

It seems to me the localized versions of BY-SA are all incompatible in the sense that you cannot combine a work under eg. the Finnish BY-SA license and a work under the Dutch BY-SA license. Also, if Alice writes a work in Finnish and licenses it under a Finnish version of BY-SA and Bob translates the work into French, it seems to me that Bob has to use the license intended for the Finnish jurisdiction which is written in Finnish and is unlikely to be understood by the recipients of of the French translation of the work. Is this really the case?

It seems to me that works licensed under SA 1.0 or BY-SA 1.0 are incompatible with works licensed under BY-SA 2.0. Is it so?

What happens to the works licensed under the 2.0 licenses if/when CC releases new revisions of licenses?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen AT iki.fi