cc-licenses - Re: Pool of compatible works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Pool of compatible works
  • Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:34:52 +0000
On 13 Mar 2005, at 10:32, Daniel Carrera wrote:

Henri Sivonen wrote:

It seems to me the localized versions of BY-SA are all incompatible in
the sense that you cannot combine a work under eg. the Finnish BY-SA
license and a work under the Dutch BY-SA license.

The whole point of the international licenses is that they are compatible. :-) You can mix iCommons work, the licenses contain the following bit of language to allow this (4b in BY-SA):

"You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons iCommons license that contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g. Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Japan). "

One second... are you sure there is such a thing as localized versions of CC
licenses? I'm looking for them and I can't find them. Instead, what I can find is
localized versions of the Commons Deed. But that's not the license. It is merely a
human-readable summary of the license.

There are localised versions of the legal codes, e.g.:

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/br/legalcode

If you go to other languages, and click on the legal code link, you always arrive
at the same license (in English).

I don't encounter that.

It seems to me that works licensed under SA 1.0 or BY-SA 1.0 are
incompatible with works licensed under BY-SA 2.0. Is it so?

I'm interested to know the answer to this question also. One of the virtues that
I've seen in CC is the ability to mix.

1.0 and 2.0 are incompatible. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done about this apart from contacting people and asking them to upgrade. I've hit this a couple of times myself.

What happens to the works licensed under the 2.0 licenses if/when CC
releases new revisions of licenses?

I'm just starting a project using the BY license. Our copyright notice says:

You can distribute it and/or modify it under the terms of ... the
Creative Commons Attribution License, version 2.0 or later
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

The licenses handle upgrading. See clause 4b again:

"You may distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work only under the terms of this License, a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License, [...]"

So the licenses do work as one would expect them to for working with new and internationalised licenses.

- Rob.