cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:02:34 -0500

On Tue, 2004-07-12 at 11:12 +0100, Branko Collin wrote:
> Stories, movies, songs, don't segment nicely.
> You need an author or a director running the show.
> More contributers can make the result _worse_.
> A movie segments with a lot of work, and reassembly
> usually shows the splice marks. You can tell the
> work of one director from another just by looking
> at a single scene.

Stories can gain in the telling too; a good story-teller can
incorporate a lot of disparate, clunky bits and smooth over these
rough patches, to end up with a better story.

I wrote comics, often in a group, and although, yes, it does help
consistency, a lot, if one single person writes the final script, it
does not mean a group cannot write comics.
You inadvertently brought up a really great point. Consider another example:

Alice writes a novel and publishes it under an Attribution license.

Bob translates it into German.

Charlie turns the German translation into a comic book -- and makes 10 more issues, after he's finished with where Alice left off.

Diane makes a short animated film using the characters from Charlie's comic.

Edie makes an album of acoustic songs based on Diane's film.

Fred remixes the songs and makes a new album, and Greta does a choreographed ice show set to the remixes.

And so on. And so on. And so on.

A derivative work isn't necessarily a modified version of the original. In fact, it most often is not.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou                  .O.
http://bad.dynu.ca/~evan/       ..O