cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:40:06 -0500

On Mon, 2004-06-12 at 17:26 -0500, Greg London wrote:

> Stories, movies, songs, don't segment nicely.
> You need an author or a director running the show.
> More contributers can make the result _worse_

That's a crock. Even the smallest movie requires dozens of people to get
it finished, and a major motion picture requires hundreds.

When the perfect movie, book, image or musical piece gets published,
it'll make sense to keep it from being improved. When everything that
needs to be said has been said, then we won't need derivative works.

Until then, Free Culture is the right idea.

> The only thing I can think of that could be CC-SA
> and would be massive enough to be an inspiration
> would be something like an online-news-website.
> Sort of like wikipedia, but more the day-to-day stuff.
> Would it inspire enough Edison Carter's to make a
> news channel? dunno. could be interesting...

Sigh.

http://www.wikinews.org/ <-- Daily news from Wikimedia
http://wikitravel.org/ <-- World-wide travel guide, by-sa

You need to read more, Greg. There's a lot of interesting things out
there under CC licenses. Big, hairy projects, like Sal's OpSound.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou .O.
http://bad.dynu.ca/~evan/ ..O