cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 10:50:00 -0500 (EST)

Ricardo Gladwell said:
> I appreciate that you dislike the Transparency option, but how do you
> feel about a "source" requirement: that a modifiable version of the
> content always be provided? So, for example, you cannot distribute a PDF
> without providing the "source" document, i.e. the word processor or
> PageMaker file you used to generate the PDF? Note, this source
> requirement makes no mention of open or closed formats.

Well, just remember that not all open software is under a
license like GNU-GPL. Some of it is available under the BSD license
and similar licenses which basically say "this work is effectively
the same as public domain".

And I think that such software makes a huge contribution to
open projects even though there are no ShareAlike requirements,
no source code requirements, no prohibitions against using DRM,
no restrictions to prohibit using software patents.

So, while I see the value in requiring the "source" document
in all derivatives, I don't know that the gift economy you
are trying to create would collapse if someone did that.
If the stuff you want to create has an audience, then I think
CC-ShareAlike is probably enough to give your works to that
audience and turn them into authors and contributers.