cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Ricardo Gladwell <president AT freeroleplay.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 15:57:52 +0000

Greg London wrote:
Ricardo Gladwell said:

I appreciate that you dislike the Transparency option, but how do you
feel about a "source" requirement: that a modifiable version of the
content always be provided? So, for example, you cannot distribute a PDF
without providing the "source" document, i.e. the word processor or
PageMaker file you used to generate the PDF? Note, this source
requirement makes no mention of open or closed formats.

Well, just remember that not all open software is under a
license like GNU-GPL. Some of it is available under the BSD license
and similar licenses which basically say "this work is effectively
the same as public domain".

The BSD, unlike the GPL and the CC-SA, is a non-copyleft license. I'm not really clear on what this has to do with the CC-SA. Does this mean you do disagree with the weaker requirement that a "source" modifiable copy be added to the SA-CCPL at all? If so, why?

Similarly, would you find it acceptable if a Transparency Option were added to the CCPL, or are you opposed to all forms of this, optional or otherwise? And, if so, why?

So, while I see the value in requiring the "source" document
in all derivatives, I don't know that the gift economy you
are trying to create would collapse if someone did that.
If the stuff you want to create has an audience, then I think
CC-ShareAlike is probably enough to give your works to that
audience and turn them into authors and contributers.

Sorry, but I'm really not sure I understand your point here at all: do you mean that, by adding a source requirement to the SA-CCPL, I would create a gift economy that would collapse if someone did... something? What do you mean about "creating an audience"? I really don't mean to be difficult, but I really do not understand what you are getting at here.

Kind regards...

--
Ricardo Gladwell
President, Free Roleplaying Community