cc-licenses - Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Does CC-SA require a modifiable copy?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:39:58 -0500 (EST)

Mike Linksvayer said:
> Greg London wrote:
>> 100 people cannot split up the work to write a single novel.
>
> Perhaps not in parallel. The world's most popular work of fiction was
> written by innumerable people over millenia. In last ~100 years far the
> story has been recast I'd guess many hundreds of times on the large and
> small screen.

oy. was there a sale in "Devil's Advocate" pills today? Gees.

OK, just so everyone knows, here's the deal:

If someone develops a proprietary work today, it will become
public domain in a century.

The idea is to find works that can be created NOW and cast
immediately into a "Free" model so that everyone can benefit now.

This means finding projects that fit the FLOSS model. Works
that segment easily, can be built independently, reassemble
seamless, and can all be done relatively quickly.

If it takes a hundred years, what's the fricken point?
Just create an "All rights reserved" project, build it,
sell it, use the money to pay your people, and in a century,
let the work pass into Public Domain.