cc-licenses - Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:17:16 -0500

WM> It seems like current copyright law was not designed with the
WM> "folk process" in mind... sigh.

SR> all too true for many other kinds of artistic process as well,
SR> I'm sorry to say....

Aw, don't be glum, gang! Sure, it seems bad _now_, but the more work
we put under Free Content licenses today, the more that's going to be
out there for the _next_ generation* of musicians, painters, sculptors,
composers, poets, dancers and bloggers to work with.

And _they'll_ use it to make _more_ Free stuff for each other and
another generation. And maybe by that time the idea that you can make
art, music, science and literature to share instead of hoard will
start to catch on, and the All Rights Reserved stuff will become less
of an issue.

And after a while it's all gonna fall into the Public Domain, anyways!
Time's on our side. It's hard now, but it's gonna get easier and
easier to make our stuff and give it away.

~ESP

* Which is, like, what? A year? 5 years?

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/