cc-licenses - Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: email AT greglondon.com
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:14:20 -0500 (EST)

cover songs are handled by "compulsory licenses"

briefly explained here:
http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html#licenses

"compulsory licenses allow third parties to copy,
perform, or distribute certain types of works without
the copyright owners permission, in exchange for which
the third parties must pay a predetermined royalty amount."

So doing a "cover" means you have to pay predetermined royalties.
I'm not sure how that works, but you may or may not be able
to license a cover tune as CC-SA, since the predetermined
royalties may or may not cover giving a work away for free,
which is a requirement for any CC license.

If the predetermined royalties do not cover giving the work
away for free, then a cover tune is a derived work that the
original author holds the rights to, requiring the original
artists permission to license it SA.

The above link on compulsory licenses ends by saying this:

"Before taking advantage of any of these compulsory
licenses, an individual should consult with a knowledgeable
copyright attorney"