cc-licenses - Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:47:33 -0500

WM> What is involved in applying a CC license to this type of
WM> material? Is it enough to simply state that our copyright and
WM> licensing extends only over the recording of the song, and not
WM> over the lyrics and composition? Or must we procure some form
WM> of permission from the copyright holders before applying a CC
WM> license (a feat which is essentially inmpossible for us)? Or
WM> are we simply SOL in terms of releasing these recordings?

I am not a lawyer, I don't speak for Creative Commons, this is not
legal advice.

If it was anything else (remaking a movie, for instance), I believe
you would have to get the permission of the copyright holder. But
covering musical recordings is apparently special. I only know this,
by the way, from reading Larry Lessig's blog:

http://www.lessig.org/blog/archives/001793.shtml

I don't know how this applies to granting further rights to other
people, though. I suspect it's too specific to really allow you to
grant those rights to others.

I'd suggest that you only put original work (where you wrote the
music, lyrics, and did the recording) under a CC license. Somebody
correct me if I'm wrong!

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT wikitravel.org>