cc-licenses - Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:20:29 -0500 (EST)

William Morgan said:
> Ok. I was just uncertain of whether, seeing as we don't own copyrights
> on the lyrics or composition, we could still license these recordings in
> the same way that we license recordings of original tunes.

the beauty of Public Domain is that NO-ONE has exclusive rights
to the work anymore, so ANYONE may copy, distribute, create
derived works, publicly perform, publicly display, etc, etc.

Shakespeare's heirs have no say if Hollywood wants to
make Hamlet into a movie and have Mel Gibson play
the lead role.

--
Draft the Gift Domain:
Put Free/Libre/Open/Public licensing