cc-licenses - Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: William Morgan <wmorgan-cc-licenses AT masanjin.net>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 15:21:14 -0500

Thank you all for your replies. The general concensus seems to be that
it's unlikely I can apply a CC license to a recording of a song copy-
righted by someone else, and that, in fact, distribution under any terms
or public performance require some form of royalties payment.

We are extremely far from the copyright-lawyer-hiring, royalties-paying
stage, so for now, the only course of action seems to be that we should
not distribute this type of recording at all.

What about songs (instrumentals or with lyrics) in the public domain?
Can we still distribute recordings under a CC license?

My thanks everyone's help thus far, even though it was not the answer I
wanted to hear.

--
William <wmorgan-cc-licenses AT masanjin.net>