cc-licenses - Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: William Morgan <wmorgan AT masanjin.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:17:59 -0500

Excerpts (reformatted) from Greg London's mail of 25 Mar 2004 (EST):
> the "compulsory license" allows cover songs for a predetermined
> royalty. I'm guessing that since "royalty" implies percentage of a
> price, then you probably can't use compulsory license if you're not
> charging a price.

Hm, maybe we can charge a fractionally small price (one millionth of one
cent) and automatically waive it for everyone? Seems like there's got to
be some way of getting around this, if they special-case 0 like that.

Well, it's all idle fantasy, in the absence of a copyright lawyer.

Thank you, and everyone else, for your help.

--
William <wmorgan AT masanjin.net>