cc-licenses - Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: William Morgan <wmorgan-cc-licenses AT masanjin.net>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: derivative works question: "cover" songs
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:01:54 -0500

Excerpts (reformatted) from Greg London's mail of 24 Mar 2004 (EST):
> William Morgan said:
> > What about songs (instrumentals or with lyrics) in the public domain?
> > Can we still distribute recordings under a CC license?
>
> You can cover Beethoven to your heart's content.
> If someone performs beethoven and records it, that's their property.
> but a recording of your own performance of beethoven is your property.

Ok. I was just uncertain of whether, seeing as we don't own copyrights
on the lyrics or composition, we could still license these recordings in
the same way that we license recordings of original tunes.

Thanks for your help.

--
William <wmorgan-cc-licenses AT masanjin.net>