cc-licenses - Re: License that allows private copying?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: email AT greglondon.com
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: License that allows private copying?
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:13:10 -0500 (EST)

Richard Cobbett said:
> In the US, certainly, but over here in the UK we have absolutely no legal
> Fair Use rules, even over things like ripping a CD to listen to it on your
> MP3 player. Nobody actually gets sued over it, the shops sell MP3 players

Hm, didn't know that. I'm struggling just to grok US copyright law
and haven't even glanced at other countries yet.

I'd say on the grand scheme of things that a fair-use license would
not cause any major changes in the way things are done. A fair-use
license won't fundamentally alter the way people create, distribute,
and listen to music, as far as I can figure. If the UK suddenly
clamped down on private copying, then a fair-use license would
suddenly have a need, but as it is, its a formality, and formalities
don't alter the world.

Creative Commons may be willing to crunch out a license.
They are showing themselves to be more of a license mill for
any license, any right, any one, rather than being dedicated
to their namesake of creating a "commons" via licensing.

"some rights are better than no rights" seems to be their motto,
so what the heck, why not a fair use license. It's not confusing
enough that there are dozens of CC licenses covering the entire
spectrum from AllRightReserved to PublicDomain.

hm, well, beyond any other problems I mentioned thus far,
I also have issue with the name, since the fair use
license would reduce to the 2 letter acronym of ...

CC-FU

and, at least in america, "FU" has other connotations...

;)