cc-europe - [CC-Europe] CC affiliate engagement (Was: Re: Input for the all-staff call?)

  • From: Ryan Merkley <ryan AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Alek Tarkowski <alek AT creativecommons.pl>
  • Cc: "cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org" <cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [CC-Europe] CC affiliate engagement (Was: Re: Input for the all-staff call?)
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 10:51:14 -0500

Like most things, it's more complicated than any one issue or action. In 2015 CC cut $1M from our budget, had to let 1/3 of our staff go, and had to push aggressively to fundraise to find money to fund the overall budget, including the Global Summit. Many were concerned we couldn't afford it and should cancel this year, but I felt it was important we all get together. I'm glad we did. As we we forced to make cuts to balance the budget, we tried to protect the network-focused resources from the impacts of any cuts we might have to make. That's important to me.

We're all doing our best, and while the perception may be that CC has lots of resources to spare, the organization I walked into in 2014 certainly did not. I'm proud of what we've done to put CC back on its feet, but it's been tough. Where we've fallen down has been because juggling many balls often means you drop some -- even the important ones. We're doing our absolute best to pick them all back up, and as you saw in Seoul, the network is a priority for me, and for everyone.

I'd like to see us all working well together, and I'll be honest there's an underpinning of confrontation and frustration that I'd like to see us move past and focus on being constructive. I accept my part in that, though I now know that there is a tension that has long existed that we all have to work around. Please know that if we make mistakes, it's not malicious, nor at all intended. After our sessions in Seoul, I think it's clear that by and large we all want the same things for CC. I'd like to see us refocus on that together in the next year and assume good will from all involved.

First, I accept that timing and structure haven't been as good as we can do for some projects. None of that was by design. But it happened, and while there are reasons, it's still our fault. At the same time, people in the network are busy, and while highly interested, aren't always available or able to be responsive. That's a fact we all have to acknowledge and plan for if we want better engagement. Sometimes we can make more lead time, and sometimes we can do one-on-one asks, but that won't always work and it isn't sustainable. When it doesn't work, people get frustrated, and I'm sorry for that. We'll do better.

On the fundraising discussion, I accept your point but it's of course more complicated than that. We spoke of fundraising many times throughout the summit. There were dedicated breakouts in the Day 3 session and also on Day 0. Strictly speaking, you're right that CC did not run a dedicated session on it at Summit, but like just about every session at summit, it got combined with other sessions -- including what I think is a much more all-encompassing issue about how we all want to to work together as a network. I think we left summit with some good insights on how to do that, and are now working towards that.

I will gladly commit to starting SotC 2016 in Q1/2 of 2016, and to pulling together a committee to shape it. And I will also be happy to facilitate a dedicated fundraising meeting if there is still interest -- though it may make more sense to build it into the CC network strategy work we all agreed to do.

Best,
Ryan