cc-europe - Re: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board oncommunication and governance

  • From: "Prodromos Tsiavos" <p.tsiavos AT lse.ac.uk>
  • To: "Brian Restall (PiM)" <brian.restall AT pim.com.mt>, "'Florian Philapitsch'" <florian.philapitsch AT wu-wien.ac.at>, "'Paul Keller'" <pk AT kl.nl>
  • Cc: cc-europe AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-europe] draft letter to the CC Board oncommunication and governance
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 12:35:48 +0200

Dear All,

First of all may thanks to Paul and Alek for drafting the letter and to Juan Carlos for the initial version.

Most importantly I believe the discussion on the issues that Henrik and Florian raised is one of the key reasons why we have started this group...

My personal opinion is that Henrik and Florian's comments reflect an overall sentiment among all CC leads.

The "look and feel" of iCommons does not really reflect the culture or attitude of most of national project leads (at least that is my impression). Most of us do not feel like CC sales people but rather are interested in exploring (often critically) the legal or other aspects of CC and in supporting alternative to the mainstream instruments for fostering creativity.

We do not expect any payment for our involvement, but to have CC "taxed" by iCommons is rather annoying...

In any case, we need to make a distinction between two issues:
(a) the 1K$ issue: I agree with Florian that we need to discuss the issue, but is there any point raising it in the letter if the decision is irreversible? it could dilute the message of the letter.
(b) the overall issue of the link between iCommons and CC is something that is of great importance for all of us as it affects our motivation to participate in the CC project. It should be a key item in the Leuven meeting. My feeling is that iCommons' involvement in the workings of national CC project is from minimal to non-existent. I do not see the iCommons operating as the public branch of CC in the national level. There is no such organizational structure or other link. As a matter of fact, I fail to see any direct links between the two projects other than the mailing lists and the iSummit which again is a much more generic event.

Also following Brian's message: Catharina, is there any possibility that CC funds the participation of non-COMMUNIA CC Europe projects at least to the CC Europe meetings? This is not as expensive as a trip to Japan and in these meetings we really have the opportunity to talk a lot about issues that otherwise would be left untouched.

In sum, I believe the letter should be sent as it is right now and possibly work on something like a "charter" concerning (a) what we expect from CC in relation to national CC projects and (b) how we perceive our relationship we with iCommons. This mailing list and the next CC Europe are good starting points for such work.

Many thanks for your time
pRo
p.s.: I have the same questions as Alek regarding the participation fee...anyone has an answer?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Restall (PiM)" <brian.restall AT pim.com.mt>