bluesky - Re: Hi, and some comments

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Brandon <blanu AT uts.cc.utexas.edu>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hi, and some comments
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:19:32 -0600 (CST)

> you can use non-fungible type schemes, such as proofs of work (PoW). Adam
> Back's hash cash is a clear example of such.

I should have more clearly specified that I consider hash cash schemes to
also be inappropriate as it then becomes an economic question of how much
computing power you own. When the enemies of the system generally have
more resources than the individual participants of the system, PoW schemes
don't seem viable to me. So the micropayment scheme has to be one in which
credit is given for participating in the network.

Our have an important point in that such a scheme is inextricably tied to
a reputation system. This isn't obvious with a centralized bank since you
then have a centralized trust authority. But with a decentralized system
you either have to have everyone issue person specific credits (you give
me some stuff and then I'll give you some stuff) or has a way of determing
whose currency is valid and whose is bunk.

> Currently, we're rethinking the FreeHaven design. One of our plans is to
> develop a free, low-latency, two-way mix-net for an anonymizing layer. We
> hope to be able to use such as a pluggable research tool to study
> micropayment, reputation, and other congestion management (abuse
> prevention) techniques.

I consider a free, low-latency, two-way mix network to be one of the most
important things lacking in the P2P world right now.