bluesky - Re: Hi, and some comments

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Theodore Hong <twh1 AT doc.ic.ac.uk>
  • To: bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Hi, and some comments
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:55:45 +0000 (GMT)

hal AT finney.org wrote:
> Most people, when they first hear about MN, understand right away the
> idea of paying mojo to download files. However they assume that this
> means that they will get paid to supply popular files for download.
> This is seen as a way to discourage "leeching" and to encourage people
> to make material available, which has been a problem on networks like
> Gnutella.
>
> When they discover that they have to pay to put material out into
> the network for downloading by others, they become discouraged about
> the prospects for MN to succeed in today's crowded P2P environment.

The problem seems to me to be that (as far as I know) you must pay mojo
immediately if you publish something, but if you donate disk space, you do
not receive mojo until later, when someone actually shows up to use the
space. This leads to a somewhat nonsensical situation where someone can
donate 100 Mb of space to the system, attempt to publish a 1 Kb file, and
end up with negative mojo in the short run. Surely you ought to be able to
publish unlimited quantities without incurring a net cost, as long as you
provide an equivalent amount of storage space. I think that's a condition
that most users intuitively accept.

theo