bluesky - Re: Hi, and some comments

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Peter Todd <retep AT penguinpowered.com>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hi, and some comments
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:44:25 -0500

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 10:43:04PM -0600, Brandon wrote:

> > Popularity is only one reason to store data. Some data may not be popular
> > but may have high value for a small group of people or have long-term
> > archival value. I guess Freenet focuses on popularity because it's harder
> > to manipulate than subjective value, but the downside is that it can't
> > handle the latter kind of data. A market-based system can automatically
> > and optimally balance between the two.
>
> Popularity is local, not global, in Freenet. So if your small group of
> people with shared values have nodes which shared proximity then they will
> serve as an island in which that information will survive. It will

Wouldn't you get clusters of nodes with common interests but with
routing fscked up in them because the routing is based on key
closeness, not "human" closeness? This sounds ok to so long as the
data used by the human getting information from the node doesn't drown
out the "correct" data (based on what the network thinks the node has)
for the node. Otherwise we run into problems... Decreasing the "value"
of locally requested data, IE drop it in favor of non-locally
requested data if the choice needs to be made, could probably help
this but I for one would hack my node to not do this to get better
caching of what I want.

I wonder if the Freenet sims done with the nodes requesting a specific
set of data each (with overlaping groups) to more closely replecate
what real users do? If so, meaning that such effects aren't all that
problematic, then I stand corrected.

--
retep AT penguinpowered.com http://retep.tripod.com