bluesky - Re: Hi, and some comments

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Peter Todd <retep AT penguinpowered.com>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hi, and some comments
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 20:47:58 -0500

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 07:16:27PM -0600, Brandon wrote:
> Routing is based on both key closeness and closeness of the nodes on the
> graph. Obviously you can only send messages to nodes one hop away. If all
> of these nodes have users with the same interests, you will statistically
> get the files you want in one hop more often than nodes which exist in an
> area of the network where no one shares their interests.
>
> However, I should make it clear that in the future Freenet network there
> will be no way to create group of nodes which share proximity and
> interests. Such things will be determined randomly.

How? The current system creates such clusters because of the
DataSource address right? You request data you want, nodes that are
run by people with your interests are more likely to have the data
hence biasing your nodes references, which are derived from the
DataSource addresses, to their nodes. It's probably a relatively
subtle effect but it is there.

How on earth would you wreck this without wrecking routing completely?

--
retep AT penguinpowered.com http://retep.tripod.com