bluesky - Re: Hi, and some comments

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Ian Clarke <lists AT octayne.com>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hi, and some comments
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:49:43 -0800

On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 05:06:35PM -0800, Wei Dai wrote:
> Perhaps the problem is that MojoNation is not flexible enough. If each
> storage servers can decide for itself exactly what data to store (rather
> than a block ID range as in MojoNation), each person can publish on his
> own server, like in Napster, and just make money when other people
> download. Paying someone else to publish should be necessary only if you
> want better reliability (i.e., long term offsite storage).

You view the network as providing a service to publishers. The
alternative is Freenet's perspective which is that publishers are
providing a service to consumers of information, and thus we *encourage*
people to publish by not charging them, instead consumers of information
provide disk space in return for the content. Even still, getting people
to publish on Freenet is a real challenge, and this would be even more
of a challenge for MN for the reasons Hal outlined.

Ian.