bluesky - Re: Hi, and some comments

bluesky AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems

  • From: Brandon <blanu AT uts.cc.utexas.edu>
  • To: Global-Scale Distributed Storage Systems <bluesky AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Hi, and some comments
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 19:16:27 -0600 (CST)

> > Popularity is local, not global, in Freenet. So if your small group of
> > people with shared values have nodes which shared proximity then they will
> > serve as an island in which that information will survive. It will
>
> Wouldn't you get clusters of nodes with common interests but with
> routing fscked up in them because the routing is based on key
> closeness, not "human" closeness?

Routing is based on both key closeness and closeness of the nodes on the
graph. Obviously you can only send messages to nodes one hop away. If all
of these nodes have users with the same interests, you will statistically
get the files you want in one hop more often than nodes which exist in an
area of the network where no one shares their interests.

However, I should make it clear that in the future Freenet network there
will be no way to create group of nodes which share proximity and
interests. Such things will be determined randomly.