baslinux - Re: [BL] Flash and Youtube

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Flash and Youtube
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 16:12:53 +1000

Hi Folks,

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011 02:50:28 +0000 (UTC), baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

> DOS would be fine too - want to share your program?

My app, for Arachne, see: http://www.ausreg.com/untube/index.htm
But it can be used without Arachne, so long as the Youtube page is
downloaded to be worked on.

YTCrack (Fred MaCall) is at:
http://users.ohiohills.com/fmacall/index.htm#ytcrack

> The lowest resolution would be helpful, when available.

The lowest resolution is always offered.

> I thought DOS could not playing streaming anything, just offline.

Nope. If your connection is fast enough and your CPU is up to it (600
MHz is what I have), then streaming is possible. But playing a
downloaded file is more reliable.

> How new must mplayer be to play flv and mp4?

The DOS MPlayer I use was compiled August 2008, from SVN-r27185. (Mik)

> Have you tried the DOS version on a 400MHz or slower laptop?

I don't have a 400MHz laptop. The only one I have is 75 MHz.

> My latest mplayer 1.0rc7 is dated 2009. Which version is DOS mplayer?

The DOS MPlayer I use:
http://www.ausreg.com/dos_ports/mplayer.7z

and the same version at:
http://www.glennmcc.org/download/mik/mplayer.zip

There is also a more recent port of MPlayer for DOS. It plays newer
codecs, but has not been compiled for internet, so it will play
downloaded files only. It was compiled by one of the members of the "DOS
Ain't Dead" forum.

> I would like these four nice sounding laptops, all with good speakers and
> hardware volume control, to play URLs that are pls or m3u etc not just
> mp3, and even ram and wma URLs.

DOS MPlayer plays those if fed to it as -playlists

> mpg123 won't do pls. Will DOS mplayer on older laptops?

Yes, if the CPU has enough grunt.

> We downloaded a youtube video then replayed and it was still jerky at
> 400MHz.

That might be asking too much for video.

> Nice to hear from you again. It must be autumn there.

I still lurk. Yes, it is autumn.

Regards,
Ron

Ron Clarke
Tadpole Tunes http://www.tadpoletunes.com
-- This mail was written by a user of the Arachne Browser -
http://www.glennmcc.org/

DOS: For IQs higher than 95, 98 or 2000.