baslinux - [BL] Lilo on boot CD?

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Lilo on boot CD?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 04:56:28 +0000 (UTC)

First the floppy controller failed on my Thinkpad 770E, then today the hard drive controller is misbehaving. (On its way out it corrupted the FAT table but I fixed that in another computer). I can boot this computer from a CD and access the partitions and files (or, in another computer with good hard drive and floppy drive controllers, boot directly from the same hard drive, or boot from DOS or lilo floppy and then start BL on hard drive). I also have a non-booting 5GB hard drive to use here.

I cloned the hard drive and both boot in the other computer and don't boot in this one. Very strange problem.

Can one make a CD that will either boot to DOS (on the CD) or run lilo to give a choice of loading DOS or linux from hard drive? I have never made a bootable CD - do I simply copy the files from my hard drive to the CD (first making them into an iso file)? boot=/dev/hd0
Can all the files be on the hard drive including the kernel, and just use the boot sector of the CD? (A 50MB one should work).

Can I partition and format a CD and run BL from /hdc2?. I have never burned a CD other than someone else's (or copied) iso/raw file. mkisofs.

The instructions I keep finding online are to burn someone else's bootable CD to disk (usually using Windows).

This Thinkpad says it will boot from PCMCIA - can I install lilo (or DOS) to a CF card in an adaptor? It must have PCMCIA drivers built into BIOS.
/dev/hde? Nothing but time to lose trying this on our 4MB CF card. No USB boot or I could use USB floppy drive. 266MHz 1999. Lovely screen and keyboard and sound.

Sindi Keesan