baslinux - [BL] Static IP instead of DHCP, was Re: mounting NFS file system

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Static IP instead of DHCP, was Re: mounting NFS file system
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 03:26:22 +0000 (UTC)

It all works fine with BL. Puppy is not so good with 10MBps network cards, which flip to 10BaseT in the middle of DHCP (sometimes after dhcp finishes discovering and it took many tries to get it an IP number by DHCP (rebooting each time). But it retains this number. How can I set BL to have a static IP number and also a static default gateway? The DNS server is assigned by the ISP.

DSL modem (192.168.0.1) --- router (192.168.1.1) -- computer

I set the router to assign IP numbers 1.5 to 1.20 via DHCP

This leaves 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 that I can use as fixed IP addresses (also
21, 22....254?)

insmod networkmodule.o (3c59x etc.)
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

I added to /etc/rc or /etc/rc.d/rc.C the above three lines
(also turned on sound since internet radio no longer disables
the use of anything else)

I can now access the internet without running dhcp.

The 'route add' line comes from Steven's explanation of how to share
a dialup connection using one computer as the gateway. In this case the router is the gateway.

dhcp assigns two DNS servers given out by the DSL modem, with the IP of
the DSL modem itself as the third DNS server. The router apparently
works as a DNS server just as well.

I was told since the router does NAT I do not need to set up a firewall (in the router or in any computers) and doing so might cause problems, but I may try it anyway if there is any good reason. IPMASQ lines were also provided by Steven.

It was taking me several tries to get DHCP to work since I have a 10/100 router and 10 Mbps network card (non-cardbus) and DHCP tried three times then gave up if it did not flip to 10baseT in time.

Since I am unlikely to be online with two computers at the same time I
could assign all of my computers 192.168.1.2.

I just convinced a friend to accept a linux computer (puppy linux) instead of XP. If I could get Seamonkey 2 or Firefox 3 to work with BL I would be giving that to people instead, on laptops with under 128MB RAM. Opera 10 does not work everywhere.