baslinux - Re: [BL] mounting NFS file system

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mounting NFS file system
  • Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 03:04:27 +0000 (UTC)

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

We now have a whole-house network plugged into
a hub which connected (via a router) to the DSL
modem and the internet. Is the above sufficiently
secure? Should I also have hosts.allow and hosts.deny?

I assume your router contains a firewall. If so,
you should configure the firewall to provide strong
protection from outside intrusion.

After we experimented for two days with various hubs and routers, a friendly networking expert came over for an hour, stayed for three, and explained that the DSL modem does NAT (network address translation) which precludes the need for a firewall, but the new ATA device had to have a stun server to bypass the NAT business.

The new ATA is NOT a router so had to be plugged in after the router.

DSL modem --- router -- ATA
-- 7 computers and/or hubs

The Apple Base Station (not Extreme but the grey one) is not a wireless router but an access point (repeater?) and does not do DHCP so can be plugged into a hub.

It all works fine with BL. Puppy is not so good with 10MBps network cards, which flip to 10BaseT in the middle of DHCP (sometimes after dhcp finishes discovering and it took many tries to get it an IP number by DHCP (rebooting each time). But it retains this number. How can I set BL to have a static IP number and also a static default gateway? The DNS server is assigned by the ISP.

The ATA dial plan cannot be set up with Opera 9 or 10, or Seamonkey 1.1, but IE 6 worked. Firefox (2 or 3?) might have worked too.