baslinux - Re: [BL] mounting NFS file system

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mounting NFS file system
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 16:12:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I downloaded a large file on a laptop which I cabled with crossover cable to a desktop that has a CD burner which I want to burn the file with.
The desktop is full so I don't want to copy the file to it.

I tried to set up NFS and failed.
Both network modules are installed.
Using 2.4 kernels configured as follows:

CONFIG_NFS_FS=m
CONFIG_NFSD=m
CONFIG_SUNRPC=m
CONFIG_LOCKD=m

/etc/exports reads
/ 192.168.1.1(rw,no_root_squash)

This file is on the server and lists the IP numbers of other computers (clients) which are allowed to access the server. The client is 192.168.1.2 not 1.1 so 1.2 should be in exports.. I had tried adding the second IP number after permission was denied but apparently that is too late. I can change to ro if I only want to copy not modify files on the server.

On the laptop (server):

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd

On the desktop (client) next:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2
insmod sunrpc (not needed for BL3 'big')
insmod lockd " "
insmod nfs " "
rpc.portmap
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ /mnt

Worked well in BL3 too.

mount: 192.168.1.1:/ failed, reason given by server: Permission denied.

1.2 was not listed in exports on the server.

What did I do wrong or omit?
I tried making an /etc/hosts.allow with 192.168.1.2 in it.
portmap: 192.168.1.2 : allow

(Probably for some other version of NFS - we seem to have 2.2beta47)

Steven, thanks for this simplified setup. The HOWTO was much too complicated to figure out and it also assumed you had a standard linux with everything set up ready to use.

We now have a whole-house network plugged into a hub which connected (via a router) to the DSL modem and the internet. Is the above sufficiently secure? Should I also have hosts.allow and hosts.deny?