baslinux - Re: [BL] downloading Opera

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] downloading Opera
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:35:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I am seeing no error messages about XftConfig. The dependencies I install onto BL3.5 (and 3.4, I love to play with multiple versions) are Steven's misc-libs and x-libs along with Sindi's "Opera". As for fonts I am not changing the defaults as they all show up readable just fine.

Do you have a /usr/X11R6/lib/fonts/XftConfig? I don't in BL2 unless I add my own. Maybe BL3.5 comes with the file properly set up to use existing fonts.

If you set it to lucida, does a web page look different from the default for web page normal text? (Tools, Preferences, Advanced, Fonts). Look at some page on your computer (plain text) that has not set its own font.

All this talk about Ad-Blocking. Just wanted to comment that many Webmasters have stated that their revenue streams depend on the ads they show. Ad-Blocks reduce this revenue and threaten the existance of the websites in question. I know you might think the ads waste bandwidth and are annoying but is it better to have no ads, no sites or ads on healthy sites?

I think Opera downloads everything (even all the images when you set it not to show any images - I can see 'elements 24/24' etc. at page top) but just does not display anything that you are blocking. The 'revenue streams depend on the ads' does not mean that the sites lose money by you blocking the ads, unless you would have actually clicked on the ad links after seeing them, which probably brings in the revenuw.

I think there is some other program that will shrink the white spaces left behind by blocked images.