baslinux - Re: [BL] dbf to sql convertor, was Re: Spanish dollybase,

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] dbf to sql convertor, was Re: Spanish dollybase,
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 09:16:43 GMT

> I converted postamt.dbf (327 bytes) to postamt.sql (501 bytes - longer
> because each record starts with the string INSERT INTO postamt VALUES(
> to postamt.db (3072 bytes). The sqlite .db file has long stretches of
> absolute garbage ^@ at the beginning and end.

This will probably just be padding. Remember this is a binary file, not text
- and how an editor sees the non-text characters is fairly arbitrary. I
think nul (i.e. a zero byte) often displays as ^@.

> I converted my larger dbf file from dbf to db and it grew from 430K to
> 960K, more than double. It also has long stretches of caret-atsign
> in between records.
>
> This sort of resembles DNA - long stretches of meaningless repeats.
> I may experiment with removing them and see what happens.

You can try ... but I suspect it will break the database. I suspect the
padding is due to fixed length records, so if you remove it, the database
will be confused about where the next record begins.

Ian