baslinux - Re: [BL] Installing BasicLinux to hard drive

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Installing BasicLinux to hard drive
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:52:08 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Russell wrote:

> This laptop has four partitions.

With just four partitions, I would use primary
partitions for all of them (rather than putting
some on extended partitions). This is simpler
and less likely to cause problems. However, if
your partitions are already allocated that way,
we'll just have to go with that.

> FAT32 with Win98
> 1 GB EXT2 I made for BL
> EXT2 for Puppy
> Linux swap for Puppy

BL3 will be able to use that swap partition too.

> I don't know if I am installing BL1 or BL3.

BL1 was the first BasicLinux (many years ago).
It was superceded by BL2 and then BL3. I don't
recommend BL1 (although it is still available
at the old BL1 site).

> I tried the dos version but it didn't work

It didn't boot at all?

Make sure you did all of the following:
--------------------------------------
(1) exited Windows completely (to DOS mode)
(2) unzipped BL3 zip file in C:\BASLIN
(3) no errors from unzipping
(4) executed: boot

If you get a loadlin error when you execute boot,
then you need to bring your system up in DOS
without going to Windows. You can do this by
pressing a "magic" key when Windows starts to
boot. I'm not sure what the magic key is for
Windows 98. It could be F4 or F5 or F8 or SHIFT
or CTRL. I'm not sure. Anybody got Windows 98
and can tell us?

Another way to boot your computer in DOS without
going to Windows is by using a DOS boot floppy.

> I was attracted to a hard drive install.

Once you've got the DOS version running, you can
execute install-to-hd. This also works from the
floppy version.

Please do not hesitate to ask questions. Answering
questions is what we are here for.