baslinux - Re: [BL] filesharing between laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] filesharing between laptops
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 20:20:34 +0000 (UTC)

I will look for the default gateway stuff in the archives.

Sindi

Steven, please correct my errors again.

Use the BL3 'big' kernel or my smf (or vps for via or sis IDE controllers on board) 2.4.31 kernel

Insert network modules on both computers

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 on the gateway (connected to the internet)
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 on the other computer

On the second computer, tell it which computer is the gateway:
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

You also need to set up a firewall on the default gateway computer before you connect it to the internet.

Get ipchains from Slackware (tcpip2.tgz package - you probably only need that one file unless you also want dhcpd or ytalk or ncftp).

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -s 192.168.1.100/24 -j MASQ

There was something about 'ipchains line 192.168.1.0' - ?????

I think this lets only things on the same local network access each other or the internet, without letting things on the internet access the LAN.

See
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2007-September/014228.html
and related postings.

I think I was able to do file sharing between computers (nfs/rpc) and also share the dialup connection (this way).