baslinux - Re: [BL] filesharing between laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] filesharing between laptops
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 13:09:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 14 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Dear list members,

for the first time in my life (and after a couple of years
attempting to learn linux) I managed connect two laptops with
PCI network cards and a crosswired cable, created a

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1 pointopint 192.168.1.2

connection and ping between them is working.

One of these machines is a rather highend machine which
ought to run Slax (Slackware 12.1) for a person without
technical knowledge. I would like to access this machine from
the other laptop using one of the BL flavours. In the end
this may be one of my customized RAM versions, but for
experimenting I will use BL 3. I noticed that Slackware has some
kind of expanded between ver. 3.5 and ver. 12.1. The following
questions are applying to to BL2 and BL3.

I would appreciate, if somebody could give me assistance:

1) How to setup NFS file sharing: For BL2 I used to extract three
programs from Slackware 7.1. Probably I can find them in Slackware
3.5 too. But which configuration files do I need in /etc?

I got this working between two BL computers last year (?) and reported in the archives. I compiled my own 2.4.31 kernel with the proper support for ntfs and rpc, which needs three modules, or use BL3 'big' kernel without the modules.

2) On an earlier install I found /etc/exports that seemed to be used
for networking. On the slax distribution there is no file with this
name. Has the concept of NFS basically changed?

I have /etc/exports which I had to create myself, that reads:

/ 192.168.1.1(rw,no-root-squash)

I have this on both my computers - probably only one needs it.
The server?

Use the BL3 'big' kernel (or my 2.4.31 kernel).
Insert network modules (or run pcmcia start on a laptop).

I made two scripts to set up the two computers.

On the computer whose files you want to access (server?)

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.1
rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd

On the computer where you want to mount files from the other one:

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2
insmod sunrpc (modules not needed by BL3 big kernel)
insmod lockd
insmod nfsd
rpc.portmap
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1: / /mnt

The files from the first computer should be accessible now from /mnt on the second computer.

3) Midnight commander seems to offer file sharing on a local
network without a NFS server running. Has anybody made experience
with this? Does it rsh? How can I set up rsh?

No idea. I read that ssh is much more secure than the above approach.
What does rsh do?

4) The overkill Slax system also recognizes a wifi card. What
will be needed for using it as a gateway for internet access?

See the archives (BL + firewall?). I used one computer as a modem-type gateway. Steven's very simple (1 or 2 line) setup worked fine, with firewall, over a system set up as above. Is the firewall so other computers besides mine cannot access the computer which is connected to the internet?

I found it simpler to run dropbear on the computer connected to the internet, and ssh (or dbclient) on the other one, which is supposed to be more secure than rpc (but maybe with firewall rpc is okay). I posted glibc and uclibc packages for dropbear/dbclient (ssh equivalent).

This method did not provide nfs file sharing, but I could copy files between computers with scp or ftp or wget/browser (run dropbear, pure-ftpd or mini-httpd/httpd on one computer).

Sindi

Regards,
Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov