baslinux - Re: [BL] filesharing between laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] filesharing between laptops
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 05:52:04 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

> I have /etc/exports which I had to create myself, that reads:
>
> / 192.168.1.1(rw,no-root-squash)

I think that should be: no_root_squash

> I have this on both my computers - probably only one needs it.
> The server?

Only the server uses /etc/exports.

> Use the BL3 'big' kernel (or my 2.4.31 kernel).

IIRC the normal BL3 kernel works for a NFS client.
It's the NFS server that requires the big kernel.

> On the computer whose files you want to access (server?)
> rpc.portmap
> rpc.mountd
> rpc.nfsd

That is correct.

> On the computer where you want to mount files from the other one:
> insmod sunrpc (modules not needed by BL3 big kernel)
> insmod lockd

sunrpc and lockd are not needed.

> insmod nfsd

That should be nfs, not nfsd. nfsd is the server.

> rpc.portmap
> mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1: / /mnt

There should be no space between : and /

To summarize, for the NFS client:
insmod nfs
rpc.portmap
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ /mnt
That's for the normal BL3 kernel. The big kernel
already has the nfs module inside, so you don't
need to insmod nfs for the big kernel.