baslinux - Re: [BL] filesharing between laptops

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] filesharing between laptops
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 19:49:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

I have /etc/exports which I had to create myself, that reads:

/ 192.168.1.1(rw,no-root-squash)
I think that should be: no_root_squash

Sorry about the typo.

I have this on both my computers - probably only one needs it.
The server?

Only the server uses /etc/exports.

On the server, specify the IP number of the other computer?
Presumably I could switch numbers, but be consistent.

Use the BL3 'big' kernel (or my 2.4.31 kernel).

IIRC the normal BL3 kernel works for a NFS client.
(If you insmod nfs).

It's the NFS server that requires the big kernel.

On the computer whose files you want to access (server?)
rpc.portmap
rpc.mountd
rpc.nfsd

That is correct.
And you need to use the 'big' kernel on this computer.

On the computer where you want to mount files from the other one
(client)

insmod sunrpc (modules not needed by BL3 big kernel)
insmod lockd

sunrpc and lockd are not needed.

These two modules are not needed by BL3 big kernel.

They are needed with my 2.4.31 kernel before loading nfsd or nfs, otherwise I get a lot of unresolved symbols. The regular BL3 kernel is probably compiled with better support than mine, because I never expected to use nfs with it.

insmod nfsd

That should be nfs, not nfsd. nfsd is the server.

Thanks. Do I need to insmod it on the server computer?

This module (nfs) is also not needed in BL3 if you use the 'big' kernel.

So with my 2.4.31 kernel you need to insmod sunrpc, lockd, and nfs, with the regular BL3 kernel on the client only nfs, and with the 'big' kernel none of these modules are needed. The server needs the 'big' kernel.

Did I get this all straight this time? It would help if I understood what the various pieces all did.

rpc.portmap
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1: / /mnt

There should be no space between : and /

It seemed to work for me anyway. I wonder why.

To summarize, for the NFS client:
insmod nfs
rpc.portmap
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/ /mnt
That's for the normal BL3 kernel. The big kernel
already has the nfs module inside, so you don't
need to insmod nfs for the big kernel.

Or for my kernel insmod sunrpc and lockd and nfs (not nfsd).

Do you have instructions on how to set up the default gateway handy?