baslinux - [BL] Elinks 11, with javascript from Mozilla

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] Elinks 11, with javascript from Mozilla
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 17:29:25 +0000 (UTC)

While downloading Mac versions of lynx and opera, I also got elinks and looked at the latest documentation. The latest stable version 11.4rc1 lets you compile with javascript support based on Mozilla's spidermonkey, by downloading a Mozilla file starting with js and applying a patch from elinks. It would take me a while to figure out the instructions so maybe Steven would be willing to tackle elinks (uclibc or libc or glibc, whatever it requires to work). Javascript support in links2 is relatively useless, but this looks much more complete (assuming Mozilla javascript works everywhere - does it?).

elinks 12 is dropping javascript support because it is buggy (the bugginess may be due to their modification or to original bugs in Mozilla). The bugs are a security risk. Links2 after version 28 also dropped javascript support due to bugginess and due to the person working on it not having time.

Elinks can be compiled with various options. It should not require the image libraries. zlib and libbz2 are optional (can you tell it not to need them while starting it, in which case you cannot deal with compressed files?). It can be compiled to work in 16 colors in console mode, or compiled to use 256 colors in an rxvt.

If I were to compile, it would be for console mode (I use lynx in no colors), no gpm mouse, nothing fancy, but I would want the javascript. I use Opera mainly when javascript is required, such as at the local music school events listing, where it takes forever to get information via Opera and elinks should be much quicker.

SSL support is also an option. Steven said it did not work with libc5.
So I hope he will compile with glibc to get SSL and javascript support.

The javascript would probably make for a much larger file, but it should still be much smaller and faster than Opera. Even though links2 seems to be more of a memory hog than Opera (while loading images, anyway), elinks is non graphical and might work better in low-RAM conditions (and on slower computers).

Elinks config file is named differently (or put in a different place?) from that used by links and links2 so is better at sharing the computer. When I set up for links2, links complains about unknown options.

I think there is a dietlibc precompiled elinks some place that I tried but it was buggy at the time.

The Elinks site gives instructions for compiling a very small elinks binary. Elinks seems aimed at programmers who like modifying source code.

  • [BL] Elinks 11, with javascript from Mozilla, baslinux, 03/26/2008