baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 networked to Mac (various) and ssh server (LONG!)

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 networked to Mac (various) and ssh server (LONG!)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 21:02:29 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Steven
===================
Sindi wrote:

Is it possible to run BSD programs (such as Safari graphical
browser) in an X window on the linux computer?

Yes, it should be possible (assuming the remote BSD system
is able to run X applications).

Apparently this version of Mac (OS 10.3) uses Aqua not X11, but you can add X11 from the third CD. I presume Opera would run in Aqua but maybe only X11 can be exported.

export DISPLAY=192.168.1.7:0
icewm &
(or jwm &)

Those commands will be executed on the BSD computer,
so I'm not sure whether their export command is exactly
the same. Also I don't know what window manager(s) will
be available there: icewm, jwm, whatever.

bash shell

Start X11 on the Mac.

DISPLAY=:0:0; export DISPLAY

Then do I type

rxvt &
(or icewm & and use that menu)

I have not tried this. I don't know which IP number this would be exported to if two people are logged in (via two ethernet connections?).

Mac has icewm.

Presumably you can then use the window manager menu to
run programs or start an rxvt to do things in.

Or you can simply send an xterm (instead of wm) from
the BSD system. Then you execute whatever you want
from the xterm (assuming what you want is actually
available on the BSD system).

I would have to put it there first. Opera is a 2 hour download.
It should be possible to compile links on the Mac but may not be worth the effort of collecting all the libraries needed. I can always ssh from Mac to sdf after sshing to Mac.

Would this work with a Mac, if I knew the name of the window manager?
Or is there too much overlay (something similar to KDE or GNOME)?

---------------------

We could also share a modem connection without being limited to running
only Mac programs, if we can figure out how to set the Mac as default
gateway at the Mac end (probably with a GUI under System Preferences,
Sharing - where I finally found 'remote login' for starting sshd, and
webpage server for httpd and ftp server. (In linux I would run
rpc.portmap rpc.mountd and rpc.nfsd on the default gateway computer).

When doing this with two linux computers I use a kernel with RPC and NFS
support and ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 on client and 192.168.1.1 on gateway

On client:

insmod sunrpc
insmod lockd
insmod nfsd rpc.portmap
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1: / / mnt

Do I do the above on linux computer (client) to share a modem connection
with the Mac (default gateway?).

-----------------

To go in the other direction (dial with linux, share on the Mac using
console links or lynx to browse) I compiled the 'dropbear' ssh server
and dropbearkey. I left it as defaults but probably don't need all the
features such as shadow lastlog utmpx putuxline. (Compiling without these
reduced the file sizes by less than 1K).

I stripped and got 126K dropbear and 58K dropbearkey which I will upload
(with two html versions of the man pages and README which explains how to
make keys).

I also posted dbclient (ssh client) and scp, with html man pages.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/dropbear-0.49-glibc225.tgz 90K
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/dbclient-scp-0.49-glibc225.tgz 67K

To set up dropbear README says to generate server keys with dropbearkey:
dropbearkey -t rsa -f dropbear_rsa_host_key
dropbearkey -t dss -f dropbear_dss_host_key

'this may take a while' Public key portion is: ssh-rsa (long string)
Fingerprint: md5 ....

The man page says to copy the keys to /etc/dropbear.

I typed dropbear and it is listed in ps. Takes 0.1% mem.

I then inserted network module and ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2

ssh user AT 192.168.1.2
answered 'yes' to the question
user AT 192.168.1.2's password:
It won't take my user password. Permission denied.
(The password works for a regular login as user.)
Won't work as root either.
Won't work to connect to 127.0.0.1 (local loopback).

The contents of the man pages is mostly in --help.

I am leaving everything as defaults and have not disallowed root logins or
disabled password logins or disabled local port or remote port forwarding
(should I?). It created its own /var/run/dropbear.pid (the default).
Default port 22. I tried both ssh (gives me a longer message about not
accepting the password) and dbclient.

If I run httpd or ftpd I can access my own computer this way.
What am I doing wrong, or not doing, with this ssh server?

This should be a short download even via modem if someone such as Steven
is willing to get it working. dropbear and dbclient together for glibc225
total less than Steven's static ssh (uclibc?). Can they be compiled for
libc5?

-------

Another option (less secure) is to use inetd (busybox) as a telnet server
(without root access if connected to the internet). I did this via
nullmodem cable - is it possible via network cable or wireless?

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/baslinux/2004-October/005365.html

The serial dumb terminal solution is invalid for the Mac (no serial port).

We have a few days to play with this before the latest foot of snow melts.