baslinux - Re: [BL] bl2 and links2

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] bl2 and links2
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 20:52:31 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Salve,
I installed links2 on bl2 just installing links-2.1.9.static.tgz from
http://cmiller.sdf-us.org/baslin/baslin2/

If this is the version compiled by Steven for BL3, it does not support SSL, which is needed to log in to google. His static links2 works in BL3
and BL2 in X.

I had also installed the GUI packages indicated on bl2 site.
In the "Install" file in the Links2 package they say you need svgalib and
other lib which I did not install.

You only need svgalib for versions compiled with svgalib support, which Steven's static version was not compiled with. I don't know why the Install file would be in this package, because it is for compiling not using links2.

Links2 works in graphical mode (links -g) but I can not have access to my
gmail account (Links2 works with other https sites).

Did I miss something (what?) in order to do that? Or have I to install
another links2 package?

I compiled two versions of 2.1.33 for BL2, with and without SSL support. The first one works but the second tells me "This version of Links does not contain SSL/TLS support". Did you get this same message?

It is stated that Links2 does not need X to run in graphical mode.
It does not need X if it was compiled with svgalib support, but the version you have is probably one compiled to need X and not to support svgalib. So you don't need any other packages for this version.

Should I install other packages to do that (if yes, which)?
Could Links2 run in graphical mode with and without X?

Yes, but not this particular package. If you have updated glibc (or BL3 libc) to the glibc 2.2.5 from Slackware 8.1, or later, you can use the versions that I compiled, which have svgalib (but not X) support and SSL.

Links2 can be compiled for any or all of the following graphic support:
X, svgalib, framebuffer, directfb, and some things I never heard of before. Steven chose X, I chose svgalib. He compiled statically against libc and was unable to make SSL work. I compiled dynamically against glibc 2.2.5 and SSL worked (I had to compile that first).

It is VERY confusing. You did nothing wrong, it is just that the version you used does not work with SSL or svgalib.

Lynx does SSL and works with gmail.

http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl - get lynx 2.8.6 (compiled by Karolis) or my links2-1pre33 with ssl there.

Sorry for these questions: I read the recent thread on links2 but I got lost
with so many options.

Thanks for help.
Regards,
Giuseppe