baslinux - [BL] running as root, starting opera as user

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] running as root, starting opera as user
  • Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 21:09:54 -0500 (CDT)

This post will be a variation on the theme of trying to get a BL3 system working for non-root users--though in this case, the emphasis is more on security. The post is being made in light of general recognition on-list in past years that it's not very wise to be doing things on the internet (browsing, e-mailing) as root. Like my other recent posts, it is also being made in consideration of putting BL3 on a laptop I'll be getting soon.

Sindi has posted in the past about setting up a BL3 system for unprivildged users. I have posted questions about this myself over the last few months. What I want to ask about now is a bit of a variation on that theme. It concerns a system where running as root most of the time would be fine--except in those instances in which programs need to go online. In those instances, I'm wondering if it is possible--and advisable--to run those programs not as root, but as an unpriviledged user. Feedback will be appreciated.

So, presuming I've downloaded and installed passwd.tgz and have added an unpriviledged user, how can I, while being logged in as root, cause Opera, for example, to be started by my unpriviledged user? I can do it, of course, by opening a terminal, su'ing to the unprivildged user, then issuing the command to start opera. But that's rather clunky. I'd rather be able to create an entry in jwm's menu that could simply be clicked on in order to cause Opera to be started by the unpriviledged user. I would like to be able to do the same with other internet-accessing programs such as links, Sylpheed, and naim. Any advice on how this could be done? Sample entries for jwm to offer? Please feel free to point out if and where my security notions may be confused--I don't lay claim to any high level of expertise in this area.

I should mention that, with respect to Sylpheed, su'ing to the unpriviledged user in the terminal, then issuing sylpheed does not suffice (though it has worked fine with both Opera and links). When I try to do that, I get the error "bind: Permission denied." What might be the source of that problem and how might it be remedied?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

James