baslinux - Re: [BL] running as root, starting opera as user

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] running as root, starting opera as user
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:00:38 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

I've worked out how to start some programs as user while running as root.
I figured this out by examining the man page for su (you get su when you
install Steven's passwd.tgz package). The solution involves use of the -c
option when issuing su.

In order to make Opera start as user while I'm running BL3 as root, I
simply issued the following command in an rxvt: su user -c opera. That

What does -c do?
It still does not make Opera start from the wrapper script for me as user.
I discovered that root's aliases do not work for user in BL2 despite copying over /root/.profile to /home/user/.profile. Typing 'alias' does nothing. .profile is readable by all.

caused Opera to be started by my unpriviledged user. I then made a similar
entry for the jwm menu. Now, when I select Opera from the jwm menu, it
runs as if started by my upriviledged user. The same routine worked for
Sylpheed as well. I made a similar jwm menu item for Sylpheed. That's all
working as needed.>

(The spelling is unprivileged.)

Now, I have to try and get this to work for Links. It seems like it should
be less complicated but so far the solution eludes me. I hope to do this
for naim as well. Perhaps I need to write some simple scripts for this?
Can anyone think of possibilities for getting both links and naim to run
as if started by my unprivieldged user (that do not involve the extra
steps of opening a terminal, su'ing, and issuing the command to start the
program)? Please offer any insights you might have.

Look at how Steven starts links with jwm. You need to start these programs from an rxvt. 'rxvt -e links' or 'rxvt -e naim' for programs designed to run in a terminal, as opposed to simply 'opera' or 'abiword' for X programs.

Sindi

Some progress to report, anyways.

Thanks,
James