baslinux - Re: [BL] state of USB functionality under BL3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] state of USB functionality under BL3
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 22:18:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

On 16 Mar 08 at 19:58, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

So far as I understand, USB functionality is only partly implemented in BL3.

USB functionality depends on the kernel: it requires Linux 2.4.

2.2.26 works fine with USB EXCEPT for USB storage devices - flash drives, cameras, external hard drives, USB zip drives

The USB modules for 2.4.31 kernel allow to exchange and mount
USB devices. It is, however, not yet very user-friendly.
Since the introduction of 2.4 kernels to Slackware, the USB support
has been further improved, e.g. after plugging in a new device,
will be mounted automatically.

I have no trouble with mounting /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda4.
Remember to umount before you unplug.

That means the basic USB support can be added to any BL installation
by using one of Sindi's or David's 2.4.31 kernels at startup.

A newer kernel, however, requires more hardware resources.
BL3 is designed for minimal hardware. If your computer has no
problems with a bigger kernel, probably it would work also
with BL2 or a newer Slackware version. Those could be a better
option for the given PC. If not, Sindi's quite special compiles
could minimalize the size of the 2.4 kernel.

My USB kernels are not particularly small (700K or so) because I also included support for many other things such as framebuffer. I am willing to try compiling a custom kernel for anyone. bzimagla.431 is the smallest
(about 600K) - no framebuffer, no scsi, no sound

They are smaller than 2.2.26 'big' kernel but a lot larger than the 420K or so regular BL3 kernels.

It is not very clear to me what will be lost in a current BL
installation, if you permanently use the 2.4 kernel instead
of 2.2.26. I remember only that svgalib and the programs which
make use of it, eg. zgv stop to work, and pppd needs to be

I compiled a newer svgalib which works fine with 2.4.31, in fact it works better (uses a module, is more secure, no need for +s).

David Moberg provided a newer ppp_generic and ppp_async to replace ppp.

replaced. Another issue is the fact that USB memory devices
and a CD-ROM RW drive both use scsi.

They do with 2.2 kernels as well. scsi_mod, sd_mod (USB storage devices), sr_mod, sg (for CD-RW) and ide-scsi.

Due to these problems you may want to preserve the 2.2.26
as the general boot option and use the 2.4.31 only occasionally,
e.g. when you want to copy data from USB storage to the hard disk
or review pictures from a camera.

As long as only console applications make use of the USB devices
(zgv, links, mc, CD burning) it could be an alternative to
collect them on a RAM disk installation of BL2. Sindi contributed
a 2.4.31 kernel that works with an 8MB RAM disk. I created
bzimagl8.431 (I think).

a RAM disk package called usbtools.gz that contains everything
necessary to:

- mount all hard disks, CD drives, USB storage devices available
on the system by very simple to use scripts
- copy, move, delete etc. files on these devices with Midnight
manager
- browse the web and local devices with links
- review photographs and graphic files with zgv (this actually does
not work due to the problems mentioned above)

Use the later svgalib (needs glibc 2.2.5) and later zgv from my site.
insmod svgalib_helper

- burn CDs from any of the mounted directories with a couple of
shell scripts

I am not aware if I have made this packet available online.
If anybody is interested I will be able to do so.

If I recall correctly, Steven has compiled necessary modules for some USB
devices to go along with the custom 2.2.26 kernel he compiled for BL3: is
that correct, Steven? If one has such a device, one must download and insmod
the correct modules to get it working under BL3.

Although these modules exist I cannot remember any confirmation
that they really work with anybody's USB storage devices.

USB storage does not work with 2.2.26 for me or anyone else in BL list who tested it, but usb-storage.o module is at the BL3.50 site anyway. Maybe it works with something I don't have.
Sindi

Christof