baslinux - Re: [BL] state of USB functionality under BL3

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] state of USB functionality under BL3
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 02:18:24 +0000 (UTC)

As an addendum to this, I also recall that Sindi has done some kernel
compiling that enables fuller USB support under BL3. If I've understood
correctly, Sindi's 2.4.31 kernel, when used to boot BL3--along with the
right modules, which she also compiled--increases or makes more even USB
functionality under BL3. Have I got that correct, Sindi? Is there anything
to add regarding USB support under BL3 using the kernel(s)/module(s)
you've compiled?

2.2.26 does not support USB storage devices. 2.4.31 does. I compiled my kernels to work with all my devices (two brands of flash drive - USB 1 and USB 2, two USB hard disks, USB camera, USB memory card readers for CF and SM cards, USB zip 250 drive from iomega). They are not guaranteed to work with all USB storage devices because I did not build in support for all devices. David's 1-floppy USB linux supports more devices, as does his 2.4.31 kernel and modules.

insmod scsi_mod
insmod sd_mod
(Skip these two lines if using a kernel with built-in scsi such as my 'sy' and 'smy' kernels)
insmod usbcore
insmod usb-ohci or uhci and if USB2 also ehci-hcd
insmod usb-storage

You will see something about sda1 (or if you have more than one device, it could be sdb1 - zip drives will be sda4 etc.)
mount /dev/sda1 on your chosen mount point.

Contibutions to this topic will be appreciated and could be of help to
future BL3 adopters, methinks.

Thanks,
James