baslinux - Re: [BL] classical radio playlist

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] classical radio playlist
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 04:09:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Happy new year all of you. I read about DVD on Linux. It soundet real
difficult with deferent encoding for US and Europe and many settings
to do. Is mplayer able to just play the DVD if I got a readable DVD
drive?

Assuming the DVD players is hdd (secondary slave)

ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/dvd

Load the sound drivers. Put in the DVD.
You can set the sound (oss) and video (vesa, or if you prefer, x11 but load X) defaults in a config file, or specify as:

mplayer -ao oss -vo vesa dvd://1-20

I forget if this fills the screen. I chose a video card that does 740x520 mode. If using x11, and that mode is not available, use 800x600
and you will get a smaller image. There is probably some way to enlarge it when starting mplayer.

Optionally add

-framedrop or -hardframedrop
if you lose sound, on a slow cpu or video card (500 MHz, or PCI video)

-alang en (English talking - one DVD got it wrong and Barbara Streisand spoke French through the American film).

-slang en (for English subtitles

Read the man page for keyboard commands. / and * change volume. m mutes. spacebar stops. ESC escapes (exits). On reset from vesa mode type reset to get back your cursor.

/mikkel

Mplayer will also play webcast TV programs. See the archives for a list
of low bandwidth ones that display in 3" diagonal 'screen'.
And DVD movies. What else will it do?

Let it snow. (We got nearly half a meter in the last couple days).