baslinux - Re: [BL] Ftpd from asmutils ported and other programs added

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Ftpd from asmutils ported and other programs added
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:52:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 9 Oct 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
To start ftp daemon use

fptd /etc/ftpd.conf 21

and try to log in with some names and passwords inside ftpd.conf

To start httpd (btw it is in basiclinux already)

httpd /homedirectory

ps does not show the process running if I use my programs (compiled
against uclibc) but it does with your ftpd and the busybox httpd. I will
delete my versions.

I had the same problem, and I changed the source code, the line

sys_mmap 0,dword [sts.st_size],PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,MAP_PRIVATE,ebx,0

sys_read ebx,cfg,dword [sts.size]

and add almost at the end of program

cfg resb 8192

System call mmap is different on Kernel below 2.4 and above, and
therefore, without my patch, ftp daemon compiled for kernel 2.4 can not
work on kernel 2.2.

Thanks for making this work. ftpd that I compiled with uclibc-nasm also did not work on kernel 2.4.31.

Can I test these programs on a single machine with no ethernet card? I
tried both lynx 127.0.0.1 (or localhost) and the IP number assigned when I
connect to the ISP, both of which I can ping.

Your ftpd is 5% the size of pure-ftpd. It will allow file transfers
via ethernet cable from a Windows computer which has no httpd or ftpd or
scpd.

Please explain the lines:

flag OR 1 => right to (APPE, STOR, STOU)
flag OR 2 => right to (APPE, CHMOD, DELE, MKD, RMD, RNFR, RNTO)
use EOF to ensure the end of file...

You are referring to the flag column in ftpd.conf which you included in ftpd.tgz. You gave samples of three types of users:
anonymous (no password needed) who can only download (0)
user with password passwd who can do everything
and konst who can do all but upload.

So I could use ftpd.cfg as is to let people download from my computer anonymously, but I had better remark out or change user/passwd if I don't want random users to do things on my computer.

For each user you can have parameter flag which can be regarded as
twobit number, which gives us the combinations:
0 - Can only download
1 - Can upload and download
2 - Can modify existing files, download, create directories but not upload
3 - can do everything

I read => right to as referring to a right arrow ;=)

What is 'OR'?
APPE, CHMOD, DELE, MKD, RMD, RNFR, RNTO is 'everything'?

It would be much clearer if you replaced flag 'OR' ... with the longer explanation you gave above, maybe shortening the first two lines to
'flag:'

At the end of configuration file place three letters: E, O, and F

They are already there - it might be clearer to write as the last line:
EOF ; do not remove this line

People have been asking for a small ftp program for years now, rather than just ftpput and wget. (Is there any way to browse files with even the full wget?).

Thanks, Samir

Now how do I set up an XP-linux network to use this working ftpd? I ran some network setup wizard in XP (someone gave us a working 333MHz XP computer to practice on) and I now have an XP IP number. I ran ifconfig in linux and plugged a crossover cable between the two, but cannot ping between them. I have almost no experience with XP but would like to be able to transfer files to and from our linux laptop computer directly.