baslinux - Re: [BL] wifi networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wifi networking
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 09:02:18

On 10 Sep 07 at 8:29, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

>It appears from the
>above that you may need the hermes and orinco modules too.
>I suggest you
>experiment.
>
>Cheers,
>Steven

Hi Steven & Sindi,

thank you for your quick answers regarding the wifi card.
I started experimenting and it seems to work. Sindi's
way leads to a high-beep-low-beep (probably bad), Steven's
way to a high-beep (good).

Before I continue, however I would like to understand what the
following lines in the configuration database /etc/pcmcia/config
mean:

-----------
device "pcnet_cs"
class "network" module "misc/8390", "pcnet_cs"
card "Network Card"
function network_adapter
bind "pcnet_cs"
------------

Besides the Avaya card in the PCMCIA slot, my laptop has another
built-in nework, that I have never tried, yet. Will this card
perhaps get installed automatically and interfere to my wifi-
experiments?

I tried to comment out the above lines in /etc/pcmcia/config.
Then Sindi's way ceased to work completely (no beep), whereas
Steven's way still seems still to work.

So for now I leave the above lines in the file, below I added:

------
device "orinoco_cs"
class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"
card "Avaya World Card"
version "Avaya Communication", "Avaya Wireless PC Card"
bind "orinoco_cs"
---------

There is huge output from cardmgr. What will be the next step
in order to go online with the wifi card?

Regards,
Christof Lange

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov