baslinux - Re: [BL] wifi networking

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wifi networking
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 01:28:34 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 9 Sep 2007, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:

Message from Christof Lange
===========================

Hi list,

there are people who think they really need a fast connection to the
internet and are ready to pay quite unreasonable money for it. There
are others who prefer to use wireless technology that has become
quite usual in Prague, now. A friend of mine borrrowed me a

Avaya Wireless PC Card ETS (Silver)
Lucent Technologies PCE24E-H-ET

that probably can access the internet from Windows98. Will there be
a way to do the same with BasicLinux 3.5? Or with 2.4 kernels and
BL 2? Unfortunately I have no experience with PCMCIA cards, yet.
There seems to be enough information on the web, but I do not
understand, what I have to look for.

Thanks,
Christof

I set up my orinoco_cs Linksys WPC 11 card as follows:

Apparently my card worked in a 100MHz Toshiba laptop, but not in a 266MHz Toshiba, and it worked with 2.4.31 but segfaulted with 2.2.26. If you have problems try a newer kernel than 2.2.26.

Get the card's manfid with cardctl (or cardmgr -o I think will work).

For my Linksys WPC11 ver 3 I have (see in my config file:
http://keesan.freeshell.org/html/bl/config.pcmcia.bl)

/etc/pcmcia/config:

device "orinoco_cs"
class "network" module "hermes", "orinoco", "orinoco_cs"

card "Linksys WPC11 ver 3"
manfid 0x0274, 0x1613
bind "orinoco_cs"

------------------
The config file for pcmcia in pcmcia.tgz may have info on your card already. Or search on PCMCIA Card Configuration Database.

-----------------
I searched on your Avaya card and 'config' and got a Czech site.
http://usenet.jyxo.cz/cz.comp.linux/0206/avaya-wireless-high-beep-low-beep-vyresemo.html

(should that be vyreseno not vyresemo?)

They suggest for this card:

device "wvlan_cs"
class "network" module "wvlan_cs"

card "Avaya Wireless PC Card"
version "Avaya Communication", "Avaya Wireless PC Card", "Version 01.01"
manfid 0x0156, 0x0002
bind "wvlan_cs"

Add these lines to config, then type /etc/pcmcia/start