baslinux - Re: [BL] PCMCIA support -- BL3-50

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PCMCIA support -- BL3-50
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:09:06 +1200

Message from Steven
===================
Simon wrote:

> I was reading up on kernel modules earlier today on the
> Web and found out that vfat.o depends on fat.o, so does
> this mean that fat.o comes with BL3-50

Yes, BL3 is able to read/write DOS disks.

> and has been configured as part of the kernel?

Yes, it is built in.

> It's strange the the microdrive, which is FAT16, should
> require vfat.o to make it accessible.

I never said it did. I thought you said you needed
long filenames. If not, my mistake, forget all the
stuff about vfat.

> The kernel that is used with BL3-50 is quite compact
> at a little under 450KB.

That's to maximize performance on old computers.

> Briefly how do you achieve this?

By using a 2.2 kernel (instead of the more bloated
2.4 or 2.6 kernels) and by eliminating a lot of
optional capabilities.

> Is this small size achieved through the initial
> configuration before compilation?

Yes.

> Also where would I find the configuration file for
> the kernel that 'ships' with BL3-50?

The link is on the BL3 homepage.
Click on: kernel config

The config for the P1 kernel (which you should be using)
is identical except that it is optimized for the Pentium
processor and there is no copro emulation (not needed for
Pentium).