baslinux - Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup

  • From: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] use your gmail acct for archiving/backup
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 07:02:05 -0400 (EDT)

Preliminary tests show that this archiving/backup scheme works--at least using my setup. I do have access to broadband, so sending 20 MB attachments is not unreasonable. My ISP's smtp server doesn't balk at the size of the attachments, though I'm guessing there are ISP's that would. Another concern I had was that gmail might flag my account for suspiscious activity if too many large attachments were sent to it. But testing so far indicates this is not happening. Here's a description of the testing scenario.

I ran my scripts on a ca. 95 MB directory I wanted to archive/backup using the gmail scheme. Last night, I sent off one e-mail with 20 MB attachment to my gmail account and it went through just fine. This morning I sent off another 4 e-mails to my gmail account with the remaining 20 MB (or a little less than 20 MB in the case of one) attachments. I sent all these within the space of about a half hour. They all arrived fine and promptly. I don't know if this makes any difference, but the address in the "from" field of those e-mails with the attachments did not contain my gmail address, but rather another of the addresses I use.

Those are the results so far, in case it's of interest to anyone.

James